BVT for rheumatoid arthritis

I was born Catholic in Paterson, New Jersey, and raised in the inner city for 23 years. In 1998 I moved to Connecticut and became Muslim. I searched for God in many places and finally found Him. And then, in August 2005, he guided me to the honeybee.

For one week I worked as an apprentice at Honey Gardens Apiaries, in northern Vermont, and slept in a tent behind the barn. While I was there, the AAS held the Charles Mraz Apitherapy Course nearby, and because I was working at Honey Gardens I was invited to attend. I met a group of wonderful people and learned about apitherapy. I even let them sting my back. My first thought was, these people are crazy; what are they doing? On returning home I realized what an interesting trip it had been. I was so connected to God and nature!

Six months later I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I was 31 years old. I woke up one morning and couldn’t walk. I sat on the edge of the bed and cried for about half an hour trying to figure out what was wrong. Mind you, I had a six-year-old son that I needed to get ready for school. After I managed to talk him into dressing himself and getting on the school bus, I called my doctor, who told me to come right in. He took some tests. I was very emotionally distraught.

A week later I woke up and again couldn’t walk. My joints were very swollen, and I was in extreme pain: I felt as though I was being stabbed with a knife. I called my doctor again. He said he had been planning to wait to give me the results until I returned to his office, but now that I was on the phone he said, “You have big-time rheumatoid arthritis” (his exact words!).

I didn’t know what he was talking about. He suggested that I come to the office to talk about medicines, to prevent me from becoming crippled, and it was recommended that I go on disability. I could no longer work, and since I had worked since I was 14, I had no idea what to do with myself. I struggled for a couple of months alone, in pain and in fear. I refused to take the medicines: I am a recovering drug addict, so drugs were not my friend. I have been clean and sober for three years and am proud of it.

I then remembered apitherapy and what the apitherapists had been doing in Vermont with the bees. I contacted AAS board member Glenn Perry in nearby Branford, Connecticut, and told him my story. At his urging, I went to his house right away. While he was explaining the procedure, I was so anxious that I said, “Just sting me. I don’t care how much it’s going to hurt.” And he did. Although earlier that day I could barely walk, within ten minutes the pain was gone and I felt a bit high. I could feel the venom flowing through my body.

I then began ordering bees through the mail and got involved with the Back Yard Beekeepers Association of Connecticut and meeting people who kept beehives. That summer I went to someone’s house a few times to get bees. For the next six months I stung myself a couple of times a week, with much success and healing. I even began stinging my friends. I also eat honey every day to assist my healing.

I am happy to say that these days I have little to no pain and I am grateful to God for this humbling experience. And I didn’t have to take any drugs. My doctors are amazed. They say that they had faith in what I decided to do, and they were very supportive. Now my job is to share this healing with others as it was shared with me by God’s wisdom and mercy!

I never thought I would be going through this, but here I am. I never thought I would ever stop using drugs—I had gotten involved with them as a teen and couldn’t kick the habit. I am now taking courses in natural healing, chaplaincy, organic gardening and beekeeping. What a transformation!

- Nur Moebius
January 07, 2009